Navigating Cyber Risks
Educational Institutions have become a favorite target of cybercriminals because of potential access to vast amounts of sensitive student and staff data.
Often due to limited IT budgets, a lack of network policy, and insufficient student and staff training, education facilities can become victims of cyber-attacks.
While cybersecurity in education is necessary to protect against financial loss and prevent disruption, it’s also crucial to protect students and staff from harm.
Here are some alarming education statistics to review:
- Education sector ranks last in cybersecurity preparedness.
- 44% of education institutions were targeted by ransomware in 2020
- 62% of recent malware incidents were in the education sector, a 7x increase from the prior year.
- $4.77 million– The avg. cost of a university data breach
- $142– Avg. cost per record stolen
- 72% of end-user devices in education environments are running an older version of the operating system